Sunday, 3 February 2013

A different frame of mind

I've decided to stop dieting, which is something I've been doing since my twenties.  I currently weigh more than 200lb and every diet has ended up with me giving up and eventually weighing more than I did before I started.  I have had some success with WeightWatchers but then I'm one of these people who will eat one low calorie dessert and then will eat another one, just because it is low calorie.  Whenever I am on a diet I always think about food, it is a constant for me and I never seem to be able to forget about it.  I feel like I am in a constant state of denial.

This week I have been watching a lot of Youtube videos posted by the Bondi Lifeguards and it is very apparent that diet and fitness is a way of life, not something to pick up and put down when you feel like it.

This is why, this time I'm not dieting. I'm walking and exercising so that I can become fitter and stronger and of course healthier. I do like myself, I have lots of good points so I need to look after myself a lot more.

I have walked every day for the last 10 days, (except one) and I'm up to a mile and a half.  I am very proud of that achievement. I have also started adding an ab routine into my day which I was taught by a personal trainer when I used to frequent the gym.  I do feel a lot better already and my tummy muscles appear to have been shocked back into life. 'Clear!'

One of the benefits of watching videos of fit young men and reading tweets from them is that it does seem to adjust the frame of mind.  I find I am now gravitating more towards the fresh fruit and veg rather than the chocolate bars.  I still buy chocolate bars, don't get me wrong, but rather astonishingly they are lasting much longer.  My mental state is changing! Good grief!  I am also trying to listen to my body and giving it what it wants, rather than what I can lay my hands on in a fit of boredom, sadness or excitement.  Yep I am an emotional eater and when I'm bored I am not reaching for the carrot sticks.

I also noticed when reading blogs and vlogs and tweets from the Bondi boys that there is still room for fish 'n' chips or a snickers bar. And I realise that denying myself something only makes me crave it all the more. It is not about denial anymore, it is about choice.  If I choose to eat something sweet and sugary then that is my choice.  It is there if I want it, but because it is available quite often I will now choose a healthier option. It's all a case of mind games.

All through my childhood and up to my twenties I was a fit and healthy person. I belonged to dance clubs, a running club, a swimming club and a judo club. I did weekly aerobics and cycled everywhere. I am not sure where it all went drastically wrong, but I am looking foward to getting back to the sort of person I was, although not going to a different club every night.

So I am going to continue to listen to the sublime messages the Bondi boys are sending me, and added to the voices in my own head, hopefully somewhere down the line I will make some sense to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment